Sunday, October 16, 2005

Workin' so hard that you don't even know you're alive

Even more agonizingly dull and repetitive than you'd probably think: Poring over want ads running in the April 1961 New York Times, collating and tabulating all conceivably relevant data on positions and salaries offered in the "Help Wanted - Female" category, as qualitative research for a lengthy womens' gender womens' and gender history term paper. Still, it is enlightening, to some degree. I was aware of the jocularly condescending term 'Gal Friday' for female clerical workers - used by 1940, according to the Online Etymology Dictionary, and most certainly popularized in common usage by the Howard Hawks film - but not the extent to which it was considered a legitimate job title. An astounding number of listings I've been tabulating so far either give no other title, or else use the term to describe something officially called a stenographic or secretarial position. I can certainly sympathize with the dissatisfaction of early feminists on the count of demanding respect some modicum of basic dignity and respect in the workplace, anyway. (And on that note, let's not even go near the 'Typist/Receptionist' positions that have optimal bra size listed in the job requirements, shall we?) Now, slightly less agonizing: doing the same thing for the counterpart issues of the Globe & Mail. Mainly because they're shorter, and the layout is slightly less eye-wateringly dense. (What? I'm just saying. The Sulzberger family certainly knew how to get their money's worth in paper expenses, way back when.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

Adquity.com

2/22/2007 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to express some

thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this particular condition. After

surfing around through the the net and finding basics which were

not helpful, I assumed my entire life was gone.[url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]cheap oakley sunglasses[/url] ,Existing without

the strategies to

the difficulties you have resolved through your entire short post

is a critical case, as well as ones

which might have in a negative way affected my career if I hadn't come across your

web site. The skills and

kindness in [url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]oakley sunglasses outlet[/url] playing with [url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]oakley sunglasses cheap[/url] all the

details was vital. I'm not sure what I

would've done if I had not

encountered such a step like this. I can also at this point relish my future. Thank you very much for your

reliable and

result oriented help. I will

not be reluctant to propose your web site to

anybody who should get care about this subject.

2/04/2013 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home