Monday, April 04, 2005

[Switch]

So, I did actually receive Columbia, the glorious and most exalted PowerMac last week, though the KVM switch I needed (in order to not require setting up an entirely different work area) didn't arrive until Friday, and because there were duties due on it, I couldn't actually pick it up from the post office until yesterday afternoon. I've been preoccupied since with the changeover. I'm happy, of course; OSX, more than anything, makes ordinary tasks seem exciting and joyous. It's just so pretty. But... The transition of importing my files from the Defiant has been a mild irritation, admittedly. I wildly overestimated the difficulty of transferring my iTunes library, attempting to first physically move it to the appropriate folder on Columbia, and then import the exported Library.xml from Defiant; it worked - sort of - but failed to maintain such database information as the date added, and more importantly, play counts. I've spent a year now carefully massaging the database that is iTunes via iPod, to the point where my listening habits are entirely dependent on a mixed smart playlist based on varying degrees of rating and play count; to lose it would be a pain. Fortunately, simply moving the entire iTunes folder from My Music to its appropriate place in the OSX system hierarchy worked like a charm, without having to manually import anything. My iPod even synched perfectly when plugged in, without any modifications. I call that lovely. Moving my e-mail over was somewhat less so. Outlook has a nasty habit of relying on proprietary, non-standard file formats, in this case .pst files, when exporting mail folders. To get my e-mail into the .mbox format required when importing into either Entourage or Mail, I had to use the intermediary steps helpfully described here, first importing into Mozilla's mail client. Finally, one thing I'm disappointed by - and I'm not alone here - is the lack of any comprehensive image management programs on the Mac that respect the filesystem structure. iPhoto is well and good for my own photos, which can and should be treated in a database format, but less so for ads I'm currently working on. I want to just see stock photos, jpeg mockups, et cetera in the directory for each client, without having to manually preview each file, or drag it into another viewer. I like ACDSee in Windows for that purpose, but the OSX version looks like the mostly-Classic-holdover monster it is. I'm certainly open to suggestions, on that count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home