Sunday, February 20, 2005

When we left the movie show, the future wasn't bright

I unsurprisingly missed it, being in the east end of the city as rarely as I am, but the old mall-basement Cineplex Odeon St. Laurent theatres, after spending several years as administration offices (and if I remember correctly, at one point, some sort of travel agency) seem to have been leased and reopened by a second-run chain, Rainbow Cinemas. I suppose it's not surprising that the bubble of decreasing-in-number, stadium-seating, premium-priced megaplexes finally burst. Gradual cuts in the last few years from extortionate to only mildly ridiculous prices are one thing, but the fact that it now seems profitable again to operate a small, mall-based multiplex (at discount admission rates, beside) seems indicative of some radical shift in the market. I fondly remember seeing The Empire Strikes Back for the first time there (In 1997, with the special edition, mind you; one of my most prominent failings as a geek growing up in the 80s and 90s is that I didn't really glom on to Star Wars at all until the original trilogy had already been half-butchered. But I digress.), and I look forward to returning, with the new cut-rate ticket prices. Especially since I haven't yet managed to see The Phantom of the Opera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home