Tuesday, February 22, 2005

This is no denial, no betrayal, but redemption

George Lucas may yet redeem himself with Revenge of the Sith, if these no-doubt-enraging-to-Lucasfilm leaked publicity photos - assembled into narrative continuity - are any indication. Maybe. Interestingly, I see no Jar Jar, though Ahmed Best does apparently return in the role. Back in 1999, I refused to jump on the Binks-bashing bandwagon; I couldn't believe even a veteran (if known to be both tactless and tasteless) hack like George Lucas would write such an obnoxious character without allowing for even a bit of subtext. I argued then that murdering the nearly pure-stock character witless man-child that was Jar Jar Binks, as introduced in The Phantom Menace, would be part of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. I appreciated that his minor part in Attack of the Clones involved unwitting facilitation of evil, which also plays to the classic theatrical archetype of the fool; yet despite that, I suspect I'll be denied having successfully predicted anything. While the prequel trilogy has had some fantastic moments - emphasis on the term in the plural, high-single-digit sense - there's just not as much depth there as I'd naively hoped in May 1999. (As for depth and the family Binks, Tony Millionaire of "Maakies" semi-notoriety outclasses anything ever touched by Lucasfilm.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home