Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Start spreading the news

My Globe & Mail subscription expires in a few days, and tonight I got a call from their renewals department. I actually did decide, a few weeks ago, that I was going to cancel it. There's an excellent two editorial pages (much of which I disagree with, of course, but it's still interesting and usually intelligently argued) and occasionally one or two good pieces in the Review section. The business section bores me. That's just not enough content, on a daily basis; I read fast, and it takes me no more than ten minutes to digest all that. The Saturday edition is better in terms of sheer volume, but has its own Toronto-centric issues, what with the Style and Travel sections catering largely to Rosedalers and Bridle Pathites. I was then offered a deal with a new pilot program their distribution network is offering: home delivery of (only) the Sunday New York Times, for $2.63 per week. True, it might be biased, but usually no worse that the Globe, and I know the Sunday edition is massive. The NYT, too, might be skewed to the expectations and fashions of the Upper West Side, but that's different enough to be entertaining in its own way. For the exoticism factor and volume of reading material, that's a great deal; buying it at Chapters or the like comes to $6-something with tax. So I ended up taking the NYT for one month. I'm an information junkie before being an ideologue; having something interesting to read on Sunday, when the Citizen is gossamer-thin, (and for a reasonable price) trumps nearly everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike SC USA said...

Ok news junkie, cancel the G&M and go
HERE NYT offers an electronic STUDENT edition (the complete paper in electronic format--every last word and advert) for $3.80 USD per WEEK to students such as yourself even if you're in hostile ole Canada. :-) Now can you really beat that?

Also they are offering The Wall Street Journal Online free for two weeks. You will be required to register but hey 2 weeks for free! Silly Americans.

I would think seriously about lobbying the U.of O. to provide these via the internet to registered students for free. The colleges here in the states do as well as many other online publications and databases.

Jeeze--stingy ole fuddy-duddies, how do they ever expect you to do your research—not in the library pray tell? And I thought Canada was ahead of the US in internet usage. (We're fourth supposedly.)

12/01/2004 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Denton said...

Ah, but as technophilic as I am, I still enjoy having a physical copy that I can read on the bus or while working out. The university library is actually very good for electronic databases and the like; I made great use of the historical NYT archives for a paper about the temperance movement last year. It's wonderful, but it's just not as convenient as getting a disposable hard copy of fresh reading material home-delivered.

Thanks for the heads up on the student discount, though. I wasn't aware of that.

12/01/2004 09:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Appaloosa said...

Interesting blog...
Appaloosa

4/19/2006 09:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home