Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Here's the story on the genocidal overlord

The first of my term papers is due next Thursday, the one on Leni Riefenstahl. In reviewing my third draft, the prof pointed out that I need to devote more space to the counterargument - that is, that Riefenstahl really was just a naive young directrix, wholly devoted to artistic form, and more or less oblivious to the aims of her backers of the content they demanded. The most credible of the Riefenstahl defenders - those not actually neo-Nazis or clueless Eurotrash style junkies - is David B. Hinton, with his book The Films of Leni Riefenstahl. The U of O library has one copy. It's checked out, and now two weeks overdue. My last recourse, then, was to buy a copy. Unfortunately, Chapters doesn't usually stock it; I was forced to order it. However - and this is sort of odd - ordering online carries a standard shipping fee. Ordering through a store, yet still having it delivered by parcel post in the exact same way, doesn't. I don't get it. What magic does calling up the store, and having the floor associate on the other end do the typing in of shipping information, invoke?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home