Wednesday, September 08, 2004

True, the gun was never fired

One more thing about Father of the Pride last night that bothered me: This. This appears to be a portrait of Sarmoti standing in front of the door...hanging on the wall, next to where Sarmoti is in fact standing in front of the door. That's...odd. That's not funny enough on the face of it to be consciously intended as humourous, and not bizarre enough to be weird for weird's sake in an Escheresque infinite recursion. It simply doesn't work as a background. The portrait is a Chekhov's gun, here; the prop calls attention to itself, but there's never any punchline delivered with it. Sloppy, in-jokey and inexplicably strange is no way for an animated series to go through life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I dunno... I noticed it just before he walked in front of it, and I thought it was quite funny and creative. If they can stick one visual joke into each episode that's only shown on screen for a second or two (the clown in the first episode), it'll be a nice touch. I don't think there needs to be a punch-line for every joke... some gags are great because they're so absurd.

I wasn't too fond of the first episode, but the second one had me rolling on the ground laughing. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes before I decide I like it/don't like it.

-Mark A.

9/08/2004 09:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll buy that. I'd still argue that the gunclown was a better non sequitur of a sight gag; there's something to be said for completely absurd, versus only slightly absurd (and confusing). The portrait was also visible for a large part of the scene (0:11:43-0:11:46, 0:11:49-0:11:55 and 0:12:00-0:12:02), rather than just a near-subliminal flash. It might have worked better if the camera angle didn't keep catching it in in the background during Sarmoti's "You're a loser" speech.

9/09/2004 09:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must suck to over analyse everything, all the time. You're draining the fun out of something hilariously simple...but then again, to be fair, to each their own. I found it a great gag, was quick, didnt need any explaining and it had a original quirk about it.

5/05/2007 03:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home