Thursday, September 30, 2004

I shall be dragged through the slime and the mud

Yikes. And here I thought political scare tactics couldn't get much nastier than those of Paul Martin's Liberals. I think I understand the non-Bush-bashing point Cameron Diaz means when she says "If you think rape should be legal, then don't vote" - that if you don't engage in even minor participation in the democratic process, you can't complain about the outcome - but the way she says it is so badly worded, and given the usual pro-Dem implications of Hollywood types about get-out-the-vote efforts, it's far too close to "A second Bush administration will legalize rape" for my comfort. I know I'm reading into a statement that's not necessarily beyond the pale, but how many people are going to interpret it the first way, and how many the second? How many will simply internalize such a theme and file it away in the mental category of "Yeah, Republicans are all mean hypocritical misogynist bible-thumpers, aren't they?" After all, even if it's not literally factual, it can still be 'true,' to a certain kind of person. Fake but accurate, you might say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home