Sunday, September 05, 2004

Half a Loaf

There's something wrong with my bread. I'm not sure why, but the last few times I've baked bread, it's come out flat and dense - far too close to the sodden flax-seed and wheatgerm-infused bricks I thought I'd escaped when moving out of my parents' house. I'm not doing anything different than usual; I almost always use the same recipe, a generic French-Italian style crusty bread. Thinking that it might be the yeast, I bought a new supply of that today, but still this afternoon's loaves (well, quasi-foccacia) were disappointing. Ditto flour; all-purpose white, hard, and whole wheat seem to make no difference. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's related to the ambient temperature or humidity, but that shouldn't make so dramatic a difference in the first week of September. If this keeps up, and flatbreads are all I can get, I may give up and start making tortillas instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home